Miss California's Outstanding Teen
The Miss California's Outstanding Teen Competition is held in conjunction with the Miss California Competition and is the state final for the Miss America's Outstanding Teen Competition held in Orlando, Florida. The first competition was held in 1999. Contestants may compete as at-large contestants, not sponsored by a local pageant, or may be the winner of a local competition. Every local competition has specific geographic eligibility requirements, based on where you live or attend school. However, all of them share the same general eligibility requirements:
• Resident of California for the last six months
• Must be 13 on the first day of the Miss California's Outstanding Teen Competition for the year in which she will compete
• No older than 17 by July 31st
• May NOT be 17 AND a High School Senior
• U.S. Citizen
To find out which local competition(s) you may be eligible for, check our local pageant information page. We no longer accept at-large contestants not sponsored by a local program, all contestants at Miss California's Outstanding Teen are winners of local competitions.
Academic scholarships are awarded to ALL teen contestants.
Age & Eligibility Chart
This Age/Education Eligibility Chart is for 2016 Local and State Pageants that lead up to the crowning of Miss America’s Outstanding Teen 2017 that will be held in July/August 2016. Although additional eligibility rules exist with which contestants must comply, the table below is designed to assist with determining the eligibility for a contestant to compete in a Miss America’s Outstanding Teen State or Local Pageant, based upon the Age/Education eligibility rules of the Miss America and Miss America’s Outstanding Teen organizations:
(1) Eligible if the contestant reaches 13 years of age by the first day of the 2016 Miss State’s Outstanding Teen competition.
(2) This chart represents eligibility based on a potential contestant’s Age and Education. There are other eligibility requirements and rules including: Residency, Citizenship, Other Personal Characteristics, Contractual and Other Obligations, and any special requirements of the Local or State Organization. Refer to the current MAOTeen Application and Contract for Local and State Pageants for more detailed requirements.
(3) The last day that a local Miss pageant may be conducted in the State.
(4) In this case the contestant could also be a high school graduate or have received her G.E.D.
(5) In this case the contestant must graduate from high school or receive her G.E.D. by the end of the Spring 2016 school year.